Sunday, August 9, 2015

Miss Campos - Phonics for Non Readers


Hello. I'm Miss Campos and I am a new member here. I've taught English Kindergarten for ten years. However, the last three years, my school has mixed our Spanish and English Kinders for a school-wide guided reading rotation for two hours every day. As a teacher with a bilingual teaching credential, I was able to see some bilingual kindergarten groups during guided reading. I chose to see the low RTI kids.

Quickly I learned there is a HUGE lack of quality Spanish resources so I started to create my own resources! I wanted the quality to be high and for each page to be as attractive as the dozens of English phonics resources available everywhere. As a result, my TPT Store is now full of quality, engaging Spanish phonics, phonemic awareness, syllable work, and literacy center resources. I hope you like them and get a chance to check them out.

I signed up for Sunday Sample today because I have a great vowel freebie to share that is a part of an alphabet pack I'm sure any Spanish preschool, Kindergarten, or even first grade teacher can use to teach or review the five vowel letters.

        

Here is the link to these FREE Sample Pages


When we begin the school-wide guided reading rotations, school has been in session for about two months.  Their Spanish K teacher has already finished teaching the vowels to her class and is beginning syllable work with the consonants M, P, S, L. However, these RTI kiddos have NOT mastered their vowels yet and are pretty FAR behind. I take this job very seriously and begin phonics and phonemic awareness interventions with them.

One of the biggest hits with these little guys are the following pages. I have found these freebie pages come in handy for reviewing and reteaching the vowel sounds. I spend about one month on the vowels. When the little guys are ready, I begin teaching the consonants in the same format which can be found here: "Sonidos Iniciales 2"

The pack even includes digraphs like Ch, LL, and doble RR.

 

While we work I ask the kids to take out their favorite color and close the crayon box. This way, the activity goes quickly and kids don't waste time changing crayons for every other image and can instead practicing hearing the first sounds in words effectively. While they work, I am sounding out the words and emphasizing the first sound in each word aloud for the kids. I ask them to give me a thumbs up or thumbs down if they hear the correct sound. Then, we color the image or cross it out.

I hope that you enjoyed this Sunday's Sample freebie and can find them useful. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment